Friday 7 October 2011

Dissertation Idea

3D Virtual Environment - Fantasy Village

For the final year, I would really want to focus on the area I would like to work in as a career. So for this project, I am going to develop level designing by creating a 3D world possibly created inside Unity, with all models and assets made in 3Ds Max. The theme that I will develop will be a small town/village or city set in an era yet to be decided. As this game will be a fantasy-medieval time period, it is hard to pinpoint the exact moment in time as to when this village would have existed. 

This project will start off small, which is why for now it will only be classed as a village, and depending on time will progress into a town or city. This village will contain lots of different styled buildings however based on the same theme, and will contain such things as a blacksmith, tailor, jewellery craftsman, merchant, pub etc and depending on these types of buildings will determine how they will look. The village will also contain lots of vegetation, trees, flowers, maybe a river running through it, and hopefully NPCs that walk around it (again, depending on time). Not only that, but I also want to use lighting in a way that will really bring the village to life and make it look more natural and realistic.

Since I want to focus mostly on level design and the 3D models that are in the project, I will need to make sure that firstly, the design of the level has been well thought out, and secondly, that all models are made to the best of my ability. These are the 2 key areas I feel I will need to focus on the most. 

So what I will work on for this project is:

  • One House - Cloned 5x and slightly modified to make each house different from each other.
  • Monastery  - Situated possibly in the main square
  • Small Training Area
  • Trees and foliage
Extra buildings will only be added depending on time, but as it stands, these models will be worked on in great detail, making sure they are at the highest quality before moving on to anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment